Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Sense of Belonging

salam..
it's been two months since i arrived at RPI, and I am FINALLY fitting into the society.
to change from a British education system into an American education system is A LOT to take in..
the difference is super big.
this past week has really made me feel comfortable being around Americans
even though i was a debater back in Malaysia, speaking to an American is not the same
it takes a lot of getting used to the pronunciations and accents.
i have to kinda go through how to pronounce things before i actually say something

alhamdulillah,
today, i feel like an American Student.(not an American. haha)
first of all, i managed to actually make an appointment and talk to the writing center to help with my writing. i realized, that is the best thing one could do. i actually brainstormed with the assistant on how to tackle my essay and alhamdulillah, i managed to finish it in less than 2.5 hours (including research). reaching out to people who know and actually asking for advice really made my work a lot better in terms of quality. sometimes u just gotta let ur ego down, be brave and reach out.

before i came to america, i made a promise not to stick with my clans and to socialize with americans. apparently, today have made me realized that i am finally a part of their community (lol). before this, i am kinda hesitant on how to approach these people and i kinda avoided a lot of conversations. i've put a poker face on and just be brave enough to speak out in class and just be part of the class. now im getting friends to say hi and chat with me on facebook, even text.

i am also currently reaching out to the sustainability task force and trying to work with them to solve composting solutions at RPI and troy.
i dont think i'd get that experience anywhere else.

well, i wouldnt say that this is a HUGE DEAL when it comes to interacting with americans as a second language user. but this is a stepping stone to bigger networking opportunities that i am planning to explore
i hope that i could go as far as even getting an interview insyaAllah..

in Allah lies all the strength.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Hey this is just my two cents but.. Tanamkanlah niat and cubelah (walaupun susah gile memang) utk attract kwn2 amerekamu ke islam. Who knows right? Because my bro penah kat tempat die ade this one muallaf dtg. and die dtg2 je die trus marah smorang. die kate apesal org islam ni x pernah bgtau pasal islam kat die? Pastu dia kate kat akhirat nanti die akan tuntut kat jiran2 die and stuffs like that. Now that you have the oppurtinity. Use it to it's max. :) (I know, I know, it's easier said than done but I just have to say it) I pray that Allah makes things easy for you. btw, I just watched this amazing lecture by Brother Nouman Ali Khan. I don't know why but I feel like sharing this video to everyone that I know.

    Beware Bad Trendsetters - Nouman Ali Khan

    ReplyDelete